Spectacular Renovation of 1920’s Home in Arlington, Virginia
The owners of this charming Virginia home envisioned a whole-house renovation with an addition that integrated flawlessly with the existing architecture. They also wanted to renovate the kitchen and add substantial living space to meet their current needs.
The BOWA Solution:
A smaller addition was torn down and replaced by a three-level addition that wrapped around the existing home on two adjacent sides. This space includes a large master suite with a gas-log fireplace, a bathroom with a steam shower and soaking tub, and a vanity area with custom cabinetry. The most unique feature of the master suite is an ‘eagle’s nest’. This elevated nautical-themed room, accessed via a custom-built ship’s ladder, serves as a map room for boat trip preparation and has a beautiful view of D.C.’s Washington Monument. To add to the owners’ desire for more space, a new family room, breakfast room, and sunroom were created along the back wall of the home.
- Visually interesting angles complement the structure of the 1920’s home
- Kitchen expansion features custom stonework, cherry cabinets and granite countertops
- Expanded lower level features mahogany and stone wine cellar with tasting room and fully equipped home gym
- Spa off master bedroom includes morning bar with built-in coffee system and beverage center
- Marine-grade stained wood ceiling in owner’s spa