BOWA Remodeling Expert Doug Horgan to Speak at JLC Live ’23 Residential Construction Show
BOWA’s Vice President of Best Practices, Doug Horgan, is a recognized leader in the industry whose expertise is widely sought after. From March 23-25th, Doug will be sharing his knowledge during three separate sessions at the Rhode Island Convention Center.
37 Ways to Build a Roof Wrong – And How to Avoid Them
Thursday, March 23rd
1:00 PM – 4:30 PM
Roofs directly face the weather, and any simple mistake can result in expensive problems. What are the key details of steep and low slope roofs that make for more reliable, durable weather protection? How can we avoid the most common errors in asphalt shingle installs, EPDM and TPO low-slope roofs, and even metal roofing? What are repair and maintenance options for these systems? We will cover: edge details that hold up, how to install leak-free drains, connections to masonry, stucco, siding, and other roofing materials, skylights, ice dam protection, and dozens of other details learned from thousands of roof repairs & installations.
- Review construction details for underlayment, flashing, and wall connections which are less likely to leak.
- Understand methods for connections to masonry walls and chimneys.
- Review lowslope details for drains, edges, scuppers, and skylights which are more reliable.
- Explore key details for various common low-slope and steep-slope materials.
Installing Kitchen Cabinets in Out-of-Level Rooms
Friday, March 24th
11:00 AM – 12:00 PM
A productive and high quality cabinet install is challenging enough in a room that’s level. Adding a slope to the room magnifies the complexity. What are the important limits to understand when deciding how to lay out cabinets in an out-of-level room? What techniques, tips, and tricks can help us get things installed when the room isn’t cooperating? We’ll look at the possibilities and limits of shimming, cutting, adjusting reveals and crown angles, and when to deliberately install cabinets out of level.
- Learn easy, medium, and advanced techniques for installing cabinets in sloped rooms.
- Review what to watch out for when planning your install.
- Understand trim techniques and how much slope they can make up for.
- Discuss installing cabinets out of level: when called for, how to do it.
Energy Priorities in Remodeling
Friday, March 24th
1:00 PM – 2:30 PM
Congratulations! Your clients want you to help them save energy and increase comfort! Now what? With the myriad “energy saving” devices and methods, where do we start? It turns out there are some pretty solid answers. While it’s true that every house and every client is different, the big savings come from a small handful of options, and priorities can be sorted out using well-understood methods. You’ll learn: where the energy goes, what things are typically cost-effective, which options increase comfort as well as saving money.
- Understand energy use in typical existing house types of various ages.
- Learn well-known and cost effective means of saving energy.
- Be familiar with methods to calculate energy priorities.
- Understand benefits of energy upgrades which go beyond energy savings, such as in comfort and indoor air quality.
For more information regarding Doug’s sessions at JLC Live 2023, click here
Connect with Doug on LinkedIn