Award-Winning Whole-House Renovation – Video Project Profile
Video Project Profile Series: Award Winning Whole-House Renovation and Addition in Arlington, Virginia that included a three-story, L-shaped addition that wrapped around the home on two sides. The addition allowed for an expanded kitchen and a new master suite, living room, sunroom, garage, fitness room and wine-tasting room.
- The client wanted to transform a small, 1920’s house into a beautiful home that better suited their lifestyle and love of entertaining.
- A previous, small addition was replaced by a new three-level one that wrapped around the existing home on two sides.
- This called for dismantling the rear and side of the home to make room.
- The clients remained in the home, so the opening needed to be uncovered and sealed daily to provide protection.
- Some features of the original exterior were preserved as interior design elements, such as the two arched windows shown here.
- The addition included a hallway from the front of the home to the kitchen at the rear, and housed the new main-level powder room.
- Accessible from the original hallway and the addition, the kitchen was expanded to suit the homeowners’ needs.
- The homeowners entertain often and wanted a gourmet kitchen with plenty of work space and an open floorplan.
- The design artfully blended a stone backsplash, granite counters, stainless appliances and cherry cabinets to achieve a warm, rich look.
- A family room was added just passed the kitchen along the new back wall.
- A breakfast room and sunroom were also created in the addition. Great care was given to ensure details blended well with the existing home.
- Upstairs, the addition eliminated a small bedroom and created space for a beautiful master suite.
- The unique angles of the ceiling were carefully designed to blend with existing roof lines and add visual interest.
- The eagle’s nest serves as a map room for planning boating trips and provides beautiful views of the Washington Monument.
- Off the bedroom is a spa with an Ipe balcony beyond. The spa features a hot tub, coffee system and beverage center.
- A hallway leads to the master changing area and bath, which features a luxurious stream shower and soaking tub.
- At the lower level, the homeowners wanted to convert unfinished space into a wine tasting room with custom mahogany racking.
- The adjoining sitting room, with its rusticated stone walls and wooden ceiling, is a popular gathering place.
- The addition also allowed space for a new single-car garage and a fully equipped home gym.
- Carefully designed to blend with the existing Dutch colonial house, the renovation created the additional space the homeowners desired.
Leave a reply